Listening to the rain outside reminds me of the enjoyment that one can have, snuggled up in a comfortable place, with a hot drink and a good story. Research shows that reading books aloud is the single most valuable support parents can provide in helping their children learn how to read. Below are some key points you may like to use when reading with your child.
- Have fun, the more enthusiasm you display, the more your child will enjoy the book.
- Run your finger underneath the words as you read, to signal that the print carries the story.
- Leave time for examining the illustrations more closely; encourage your child to find things in the pictures.
- Encourage your child to join in whenever there’s a repeated phrase in the text.
- Link up events in the book with similar events in your child’s life.
- Take time to stop and answer any questions your child may have.
Happy reading folks 🙂